Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Steadfast

Let's face it, life can certainly get overwhelming from time to time. There are stresses at work and home, with friends and family, traffic, money ... you name it. Then, when the really big things come, like family deaths, major illnesses or marital troubles, we get to feeling like life is almost too much to bear. Those are the times when we so desperately need something strong to cling to. Money doesn't work. Friends and family will eventually let you down. We grasp for all manor of straws and, like straws, they tend to snap under the pressure. In the end, only God is a sure source of help and comfort. He is always there. He has power over His creation and all that dwells therein. He has proven the depth of His compassion in the sacrifice of His Son. He is the only anchor strong enough to hold through every storm. You may be in the middle of those days of darkness even now. If so, friend, I implore you not to save God for your "last resort." In the bible, Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." He's there, tossing out the life ring to you even now, all you have to do is reach out and grab it. If you are going through those tough times right now, if you feel as though you have nowhere left to turn, start with a prayer or go to church and ask for help. If you think it would help, feel free to email me and we'll figure out where to begin together. There are issues in life that just seem too large or frightening to overcome alone. You don't have to face them alone. Reach out and grab that life ring floating next to you. Then hold on tight and know that God is steadfast enough to carry you through the storm.

Steadfast
When I am beset by the storms of life
When the tempest against me blows
When the waves of darkness wash over me
And I struggle within their throes
When I strive to keep myself on course
Through the blackest watches of night
And the light of dawn seems far away
With no sign of shelter in sight
Where shall I turn when life is so
When frustration or doubt or pain
Become a burden that crushes my heart
And my confidence starts to wane
Then only the Lord is steadfast enough
To set our anchors upon
God alone gives the strength a man can trust
For the will to keep carrying on
And the light of His love is a beacon
Which pierces the depths of the night
Bringing hope to the brokenhearted
And the courage to fight the good fight
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: