Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

My Strength and My Protector

Sometimes it seems like we are wandering through the desert. We go through periods in our lives when we are beleaguered by tribulations at every turn and it can be tempting to just give up. However, our God is clearly a friend to the broken hearted and His strength is sufficient to carry us through our own times of weakness. When I am going through those times in my life I love to open up the psalms, where there are always words of strength and encouragement to be found. Almost anywhere you can turn in that book, the words of David leap off the page to guide our troubled hearts back towards God. Today's poem, or rather today's psalm, was actually written at something of an oasis out in the desert. It was a place of shade and rest tucked away in a sea of desolation. When our lives feel like a desert, God can be an oasis and a refuge to our weary hearts. He truly is our strength and our protector so come into His presence and let Him be your oasis as well.

My Strength and My Protector
A Psalm From the Desert

Blessed be the name of the Lord
the God of heaven and earth
oh, Lord, you are a refuge
to those who are in distress
Your comfort is the shade
of a mighty tree
beneath the desert sun
Your words of strength
refresh my soul
as a cool well spring
in a barren land
when I was fatigued
when I was thirsty
when I could travel no more
You led me to a place of rest
You are my comfort
and my protection
when I was lost, You guided me
when I was pursued by my enemies
You became as
a stronghold about me
You are my shield
and my deliverer
You heard my cry
in the wilderness
You heeded my call
Your mighty hand drew me
out of my distress
and into the gates of Your presence
blessed be the name
of the Lord most high
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: