Ads 468x60px

Friday, May 21, 2004

Off to the Mountains

I already posted an entry earlier today, but if you are a devoted reader I just wanted to toss you one more nugget before I slip off to the mountains for a few days of camping. I probably won’t have another offering until early Monday morning, but in the mean time I’ll be in a beautiful and inspirational place which might yield some fresh and interesting poetry. To tide you over, I submit the poem below which captures what happens to my heart when I get out into the wilderness. I believe we were created with an inherent connection to nature and that is why we respond to it in the way we do. Remember, there’s already a new poem from earlier today if you scroll down to it. Also, if you’re new or interested in more, be sure to check out my monthly archives over in the left column of this site. Happy trails!

Cedar Trail
In an ancient stand of cedar
To the music of a creek
Setting sun streams through the trees
In a game of hide and seek
As the gentle hush of evening
Descends to cast its spell
While solemn spires keeping watch
Seem to echo, “all is well”
Mossy paths meander through
Ferns and sapling cedar trees
Leading nowhere in particular
As careless as you please
The forest whispers to my heart
Timeless words which none can hear
Revealing to me secrets
Few men know and less hold dear
And I discover in their wisdom
A peace I never would have known
Lest I turned aside to wander
On the cedar trail alone
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: