Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Works of Art

Far too often I feel undone. Every area of my life has the look of a work in progress, with scaffolding and tarps strewn about and most of the finish work barely begun. Physically, spiritually, intellectually, I'm just not quite there. Do you ever feel that way? I think we all do. I have hope, however, that God has a plan for my life and that He will eventually complete me ... even in spite of myself if need be. I look at my life and I see a blank canvas, a formless block of stone or clay. Yet, when God looks at us He is able to envision the finished product of our lives. I'm not sure exactly what He sees in me, but apparently He has the idea that I am at least a fixer upper. That glimmer of hope is what keeps me going when I want to give up on myself or those around me. God just isn't finished with us yet. In the book of Ephesians the apostle Paul wrote that "we are His workmanship," while in the book of Philippians Paul also wrote that "He who began a good work in you will perfect it." Does that mean that I don't have to do anything? May it never be. Rather, we should forge ahead because we know that somehow God will find a way to conform our lives to what He desires of them. I heard a wise man say once that "if God is done with us we will assume room temperature," meaning that if we're breathing we are still part of his plan. Therefore, let us make those raw materials available to God. Let us present our lives as a canvas to Him. May our hearts remain supple and willing to be molded by his hands. Rest assured that whoever we are, that whatever we've done, God can still make a masterpiece of our lives.


Work of Art
We are the granite and clay of the Lord
He skillfully sculpts each heart
Shaping and molding us in His love
We are His works of art
We are the score and God the composer
Crafting so painstakingly
Every moment we live so the notes of our lives
Form a beautiful symphony
We are God's canvas and medium
Awaiting the work of His hand
Already complete in the Master's mind
Who will finish us just as He planned
He is the painter, the potter, the poet
The artisan of the heart
With the Lord, every life is a masterpiece
We are His works of art

By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: