Ads 468x60px

Friday, March 12, 2004

Second Chances

Today, I take a detour through territory which might well fall into the “mind your own business” category. However, there are a lot of hurting people out there who’s lives might even look great on the outside while there are dreadful storms brooding at home. If this poem isn’t for you, then just come on back tomorrow. But if this poem tugs at your own heart or your own life, even a little, please re-read it carefully. What I have learned in my brief span of years is that there is always hope for those who are willing to earnestly pray and concede their own pride in the interest of that most cherished of institutions ... marriage. To my knowledge, the bible never instructs us to get married because we love each other. It only says that if you are married you should love one another unselfishly. That’s a great starting point for all of us.

Second Chance
I was just lying here in the darkness
You've been asleep for a while
I was just thinking back on the years we've shared
How we've filled them with triumphs and trials
And even though you're here beside me
Sometimes I just feel so alone
And the darkness between us keeps growing
'Till it threatens to break up our home
I was just lying here in the darkness
Which seems blacker than it's ever been
And my hopes for the future are waning
Like a pale winter moon and grown thin
How I long to just reach out and touch you
And to tell you we're over the worst
But instead I stare into the darkness
I'll be dammed if I'm giving in first
I'll be dammed if I don't, more than likely
Since we each have somebody to blame
But there are no winners, just losers
When you're playing this sort of a game
We have to stop hating and hurting
We need to start bridging the gap
Before our life crumbles around us
And our marriage turns into a trap
For no matter how hopeless is seems now
And no matter who's broken whose heart
There is always a chance we can rebuild
What we just finished tearing apart
With the help of our friends and our family
And the Lord we might just make it through
We just have to keep trying, we have to
So what else is there for us to do
But to work on forgiving and giving
And revisit the vows we once made
And start praying and praying and praying
And to pray like we never have prayed
That God will give us the strength and courage
And the love that we thought we had lost
And the faith in His will and each other
To keep trying whatever the cost
It's so easy to quit when you're broken
And it's tempting to just walk away
But we both know that isn't the answer
We just need to start trying today

By Frank Carpenter

0 comments: