Ads 468x60px

Monday, March 15, 2004

The Least of These

Like so many other people, I Live in a very safe little corner of the world. My little corner is isolated from much of the pain, poverty and suffering that occur every day. In fact, distracted by my own problems and responsibilities, it’s easy to forget about all the dreadful things going on throughout the larger world, even nearer at hand than I care to admit. I simply choose not to think about such things. Even though God has so richly loved and sacrificed on our behalf, we tend hoard our love and save it only for those who will be sure to love us back. However, the example of Jesus was to love all people and sacrifice and their behalf. If we are to follow His example, we need to smash the walls of glass which we have built around ourselves and step out into the larger world that so needs us to carry His love into it. In point of fact, in God’s economy at least, we have no right to waste our time, talent and treasures on ourselves. It’s time for us to remove the blinders we choose to wear in our everyday lives and step out in love on God’s behalf. We are His voice. We are His hands. We must be His love to this hurting world.

The Least of These
I know that look, the look of pain
I've seen it time and time again
In the eyes of children on the street
And people who just need to eat
I've seen it on the tired and old
Whose lives were spent on fool's gold
And lonely people everywhere
Who simply want someone to care
It's the face of poverty and need
Of famine, flood and tyrant's greed
The face that haunts me in the night
And even in the broad daylight
Imploring me to stop and care
Instead, I pass and blindly stare
Ahead, to comfort and security
And away from those who so need me
My pristine little world is safe
From homeless beggar and starving waif
But not from God, whom I asked in
Whose voice I hear above the din
Who pierces hardened hearts like mine
And melts the ice of stubborn minds
And calls me to reach out and care
For those in need and in despair
For Jesus feels every tear
He knows each pain and every fear
Those with hunger, heart ache and disease
Jesus knows the least of these
So if I turn my back on them
I have, in fact, done so to him
For only by the way I care
Will people know that God is there
Lord, break my heart and bend my knees
That I may love the least of these

By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: