Ads 468x60px

Friday, June 25, 2004

The Walls of Jericho

There is a peculiar aspect of the American persona, a certain frontier mentality, which leads us to believe that we can overcome anything. All we have to do is hunker down and grit our teeth and mutter some kind of courageous statement, and things will eventually be alright. That’s a lovely thought, but it simple isn’t always the case. Sometimes we face obstacles in the form of disease, natural disasters and relational troubles which seem insurmountable, often they are. When we reach that kind of a wall in our lives, we can bang our heads against it until it destroys us, or we can look for other options. Those are the times when faith can be of great value. For people, certain things simply are impossible, but with God nothing is impossible. Some folks would call that a crutch, but I have seen and experienced the small miracles that are possible when God intervenes. And while the tough-guy-American-cowboy system comes naturally to us, why not call on the Lord of Hosts and Creator of the universe for assistance. He is a powerful ally and when God is for us who can be against us? I close with the immortal words of Forest Gump, “and that’s all I have to say about that.”

The Walls of Jericho
Fool that I am, time and again
I try to fight my battles alone
In vain, I struggle against my foes
Hurling myself into walls of stone
Yet, I am inadequate for the task
For the battlements near at hand
I haven’t the cunning, nor the strength
And so often fail to understand
That the battle belongs to God alone
His alone is the victory
And only the warrior of the Lord
Shall conquer triumphantly
How many times must I fail alone
How many wounds will I bear
Before I rely on the Lord of Hosts
And place myself under His care
If I will obey my Master’s commands
I know that His trumpet call
Will shake the foundations of our foes
And break down the mightiest wall
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: