Ads 468x60px

Thursday, June 17, 2004

To Be Worthy

As I rush off to my daughter’s high school graduation today I offer a brief prayer in, the form of a poem, for all of us to live a life of excellence. In the book of Ephesians, the Apostle Paul opens chapter 4 with the following words: “Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love...” Whatever your calling or credo, however you view God, may you walk in a manner that is consistent with your professed values. That sounds simple, but it can be a very difficult thing to do day in and day out. That same Apostle Paul indicates on several occasions in his writings how concerned he was that the activities of his life would be consistent with the words of his message. So it should be with us. Let us go forth, then, and endeavor to live lives which will show us worthy of our message. Have a great day ... and make it count.

To Be Worthy
May my words be thine, oh Lord
May my message point the way
For those who need to know you, Lord
And those who’ve gone astray
Give me patience, Lord, to listen
And eyes that strain to see
Grant me wisdom, Lord, to understand
What you reveal to me
May my hands reach out to serve you
Guide my feet upon the path
That you would have me follow, Lord
Turn me from the way of wrath
If I am to be your servant
Help me cast away the chaff
Which binds me to this weary world
Though others mock and laugh
Let my actions bring you honor
In this world of compromise
That I may be the messenger of truth
Amidst the ebbing tide of lies
Give me strength to stand for you, Lord
To fight the good and faithful fight
That in this world of darkness
I may shine your holy light
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: