Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

A Sunset Gained

I have previously written about capturing and enjoying each of the moments in our lives and today that theme is all the more poignant. At this is very moment I am attending orientation and registration with our youngest child at the university of her choice. What an exciting time, with her preparing to move away from home and making choices which may impact the rest of her life. It's a wonderful long weekend to share with a child. However, it does bring us closer to the reality that she will soon be gone and our ability to influence her life may diminish significantly. Those emotions are compounded by the fact that she is the youngest and her departure will leave us in the proverbial empty nest. We're fine with that, but it still means change and the sunset of a twenty year life stage comprising the bulk of our married years, basically an emotional career change. To that end, today's literary metaphor refers to sunsets and how fleeting their beauty is. God puts such things in our lives and we only have the opportunity to enjoy them for a time before they slip beyond the horizon. If we let those opportunities slip past us, we often squander the blessings they offer. Each day is awash in moments of beauty and meaning, much like those sunrises and sunsets, and unless we pause to take them in they may be missed entirely. I encourage you to take a moment to enjoy the sunset today ... and think about all the other things in our lives which beg to be appreciated.

A Sunset Gained
How many sunsets have I missed
As I rushed from day to day
How many perfect moments squandered
Or forgotten along the way
All because I was just too busy
Taking care of everyone
While the sands of time slipped by
Like the rays of the setting sun
Which paint the sky with beauty
And wonder a moment or two
Then flee beyond the horizon
And another day is through
Today, I didn't miss the sunset
I observed each blessed shade
As it faded into evening
I watched and thought and prayed
And I realized I long for more
Of moments such as these
When I can let peace flourish
And take an hour or two at ease
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: