Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Parent's Calling

A very long time ago I used to subscribe to an obscure newsletter called Dads Only that was filled with parenting advice. Once I came across a little verse in that publication which has stayed with me all through the years: “Could I fail him? Could I let him down, this youth, in a world of trouble and sham? God, grant me the strength of body and mind, to be the man he thinks I am.” My kids were small when I first read those words, but I’ve tried to be true to the spirit of that little prayer over the last couple of decades. Though it’s written for and by a man I hold that it applies to all parents. The fact is that, at any age, we are such an important part of our children’s lives and they look to us for validation, guidance, and example. It’s a lofty calling, but we really do need to be who our children think we are … and who they need us to be. Furthermore, this remains important throughout our lives. When our children are small we may be their whole world. During their formative years they still need us to live up to their expectations, and as they move toward and through adulthood we need to continue showing them the path to follow. I know it sounds like a tall order, but that’s what we sign up for when we choose to be parents. And even if we become parents by accident it’s a commitment that we should have considered in advance.


Our lives are the window that our children, of any age, view the world through. The sarcastic saying, “do what I say and not what I do” is completely ludicrous. Our children will emulate us throughout our entire lives. They have that right to do so. As parents then, we have an obligation to live in a manner that we will be comfortable with our children emulating. If we don’t want our kids to smoke, drink, swear or whatever then we ought not. If we don’t want them to cheat, act violently or get divorced then we must not. If our desire is for them to be kind, selfless or faithful then we must be. In a very real way, we are the mold that continues to shape their lives long after our genetic contribution. The same holds true when they have grown up and moved out on their own. This is our calling as parents. Are you up for the challenge? You have to be, because if you have kids of any age they are watching you right now and, more than likely, you are their role model.

1 comments:

Comradeinchrist said...

Ya, but it sounds more daunting and frightening when you put it in words . . . will do my best though.