Ads 468x60px

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Friends Forever

Some years ago dear friends, who have been a big part of our lives, moved away. As token of their commitment to stay in touch they gave us a concrete stepping stone with words “friends forever” on it. All these years later that little monument still sits right outside our front door. And, true to its sentiments, we remain very close to that entire family. A while back I wrote the below poem for those friends to commemorate our ongoing devotion to them. Then just the other day the stepping stone caught my eye again and I was reminded how fortunate our family has been in the area long-term relationships. We have a score of family friendships that have lasted decades. In fact, I’ve been known to proclaim that our greatest wealth is in relationship. God has specifically blessed us in this area. This also serves to remind me that we should all be aware of our true friends and work proactively to maintain those relationships. Often we don’t tell people how we feel and they deserve to know it. So call someone and reaffirm your friendship today.


Perhaps, however, you don’t feel surrounded by friends. Hey, it happens. One of the first things in establishing friendships is belonging to groups with a common interest. For instance, many of our relationships trace their foundations back to church, where we have met many other couples with similar interests or children of similar ages over the years. Work, or any other activity, can provide common interest groups as well. One of the other best ways to find friends is simply to be one. For, like so many other areas of our lives, we get from relationships only what we’re willing to put into them. I wish you good fortune in this area as it can be one of the most meaningful aspects of life.

What I do know is that friends have been an amazing blessing to me, to our entire family, throughout the years. They have increased the joy of celebration and tempered the pain of sorrow. They have provided wisdom and encouragement when it was most needed. And occasionally they have reminded me that I was an inconsiderate idiot who should either shut up or apologize … or both. I’ve tried hard to be a good friend to others and found, almost without exception, that those efforts bore much fruit in the form of love and friendship returned. So I will close today by simply offering my gratitude to those special people in my life who have helped to make the journey so worthwhile. Your friendship has made a difference that I thank God for every day!

Friends Forever
As the years go marching by
And friends in life come and go
I realize most will slip away
But there are some we’ll always know
Time threshes out relationships
Years blow the chaff away
Until we discover the friends who go
And the ones who are bound to stay
These are the people we cherish
And we know we’re never alone
Because true friends are forever
Those words are set in stone
              By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: