Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

What Lies Ahead

By my own admission, I get a little too hot and heavy frm time to time. For those of you who need something just a bit lighter, I offer the following poem. It was written about this time of year, when the hills of Southern California are still green and blooming. This is perhaps my favorite time to be out of doors. For me, what stands out in this little poem is the way it looks forward. The analogy, of course, applies to the rest of our lives. We tend to find a nice place or something interesting to do and then just sit there and soak it up, losing our interest in what still lies ahead. Yet, there is a wonder to life which can keep us ever curious about what waits around the bend. That is the adventure, and when people lose track of the adventure of life their excitement seems to dry up. May you relish the beauty and wonder in each corner of your life, but always look forward to what lies ahead. That sense of anticipation is an inherent part of the American Spirit and it can work wonders for your own spirit as well. Onward!

The Trail
A gentle mist was falling on
The green clad hills of spring
As the lupine bobbed and curtsied
To the song that wild birds sing
The trail stretched out before me
As it seems every trail must
The promise each new vista brings
Serves to feed my wanderlust
A part of me would tarry
To wile away the hours on end
But soon I’m on my feet once more
To see what lies beyond the bend
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: