Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A Historical Perspective

                I have just finished reading a biography entitled “We Were the Lucky Ones,” which traced the experiences of single Jewish family in Poland through the Second World War. And while it specifically told the story of an individual family, it also recounted the atrocities they lived through. Prior to this book, I read another family story related to the atrocities perpetrated in China during that same time period. While I write from the isolated comfort of my middle class, seaside home in 21st century America, I at least have the benefit of hindsight and historical perspective and countless reams of documentation regarding those conflicts.

                My first and foremost observation is that Germany, Japan and their allies were responsible for the deaths of as many as eighty million people during the 1930s and 1940s. I’m also very clear that some of the atrocities those nations committed are unthinkable, and arguably unforgiveable. Untold people from many countries were conquered, oppressed and slaughtered based upon principles of ethnic, cultural and military superiority, not to mention pride, greed and hate. If there were true “eye for an eye” justice in the world those two aggressor nations, and probably a few others, should have been utterly depopulated and wiped off the face of the earth. Fortunately, our better angels prevailed and the world chose only to directly punish the worst leaders and offenders.

                I’m an American, and before I spout too much about our being the good guys who entered the war in order to save the day for everyone else, I acknowledge our own history also has to be considered. Our experiment with the atrocities of slavery and the four hundred years we spent dispossessing the North American continent of its previous inhabitants is no less ignoble. Both chapters in our own history were based upon those same principles of ethnic and military superiority. Having acknowledged that fact, I return to my previous discourse by paraphrasing legendary Arthurian ethics and reminding us all that the historical perspective continues to show us that might doesn’t actually make right.

                I remember growing up in the 1960s and 1970 being so proud of my German heritage. And, in my defense, all of my German relatives immigrated here long before World War II. Nonetheless, even my relatives who fought against Germany in the 1940s instilled that cultural pride. Cultural pride is a good thing, but with the wisdom of hindsight I now know that those lessons of cultural pride needed to be tempered with some wisdom regarding the sins of the previous generations. No one ever told me what the Germans did to Europe in the previous decades. No one in my family ever inferred anything negative about others who were Jewish. I was just told to be proud of being German.

From that standpoint, I was a cultural innocent. However, with a blissful and in some ways a blissful ignorance as well. Perhaps time heals all wounds, and historical grace has its place in preventing inherited hate, but we sometimes forget too quickly. We clearly need to forgive, but it’s dangerous to forget entirely … and one generation is not enough time to forget such devastation and atrocity. We need to own our past. We need to talk about our past. We need to do so in order to inform our future. You can’t just extinguish eighty million lives and chalk them up to the collateral damage of history. We owe it to their memories that they shall not have died in vain. We owe it to their children and grandchildren, to our children and grandchildren, to learn from our past in order build a better future. Only then, will we be prepared to meet the societal challenges of the future.

My challenge to you is to speak with the oldest members of your family and capture their memories of World War II before they are lost forever. We owe it to our future to reconcile the past we all share. If we don’t, then we are destined to repeat it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

While I love your poetry I also love your commentary. I enjoy the way you walked us through your perspective of things to lead us to an idea that is so true and often lost. In history, context is important but it is not the only thing. When you talk about eighty million lives it is a number we just cannot wrap our heads around. I appreciate the wisdom and the challenge at the end as well. Keep it coming and keep us growing.

Lilian Wale said...

There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I was diagnosed with diabetes .It was at work and  feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +234 802  501 2866   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, GOUT, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , TUMOR, HEART HEALTH, MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2348025012866