Ads 468x60px

Friday, July 02, 2010

Kalama Morning

We’re away in the state of Washington visiting our kids and first grandchild this week. As is my nature when I’m away, I rose early to walk and take in the new surroundings. We’ve been quite busy lately and work is always hard to escape from so I came fairly exhausted and distracted. Fortunately, I have a gift for being able to turn life off and just be away when I’m on vacation. My morning ritual of rising early to walk while I’m away is an important part of getting my brain on vacation. I take the liberty, therefore, of offering this description without much explanation because it speaks for itself. I hope and pray that you may find peace in the quiet corners of your own life today as well.

Kalama Morning
I rose this morning early
Just so glad to be away
From the world of work and pressures
That seems to fill each day
I stuck out afoot on my own
To enjoy the woods and town
And to revel in the solitude
Which of late I’ve scarcely found
I wandered quiet tree-lined roads
As gentle rain began to fall
Not enough to soak me through
But this is Washington after all
The weariness and worry
It has been my lot to bear
Seem to dissipate with every breath
Of northwest morning air
As I begin to hear the birds again
I pause to make a daisy chain
And thank God for quiet mornings
Simply walking in the rain
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: