Ads 468x60px

Friday, March 24, 2006

A Wedding Toast

Love seems to be in the air … at least the air around me, so I thought I’d do something just a little different. Today is the 16th wedding anniversary of my little brother and his dear wife. Tomorrow, one of my employees is getting married and at the very same time our friends are throwing a wedding shower for my future daughter-in-law. And, low and behold, there is also an additional wedding reception for my 3rd cousin and his new bride. Not to mention the fact that I’m still deeply in love with my own dear wife of nearly 25 years. I guess it really is the first week of spring. To that end I offer as today’s poem the wedding toast I gave as the best man at my brother’s wedding all those years ago. So it’s happy anniversary to you, Scott and Gina, and a toast to the other blessed events of this weekend as well.

Now, most of us aren’t getting married or celebrating an anniversary this week. However, these words may also apply to you, for everyone desires love and health and happiness and everyone deserves honor and respect. Wherever you are in your own marriage or relationship, take a moment to read through this simple verse for I offer it to you as well. Maybe one or more of these attributes or attitudes is sorely missing or you need to make some extra effort this week to rebuild your momentum. I believe that God designed marriage and it should be a source of joy rather than a cross to bear. In fact, some folks may even be teetering on the brink of separation or divorce just now, but there is yet much hope for you. It starts with an earnest prayer, perhaps some counseling, and a lot of love. Don’t give up, though. It’s worth the trouble and God will honor your stalwart efforts towards preserving and improving your marriage. You can even whisper a little prayer right now and take the words of this poem home with you tonight to call them you own. Pick just one of the words to work on and start from there, or read through 1 Corinthians 13 and choose a word from that passage of strength wisdom. Sometimes it’s difficult to begin, but even the clumsiest word from an honest heart is better than an awkward silence. If you need assistance, feel free to email me through the link above and we can talk it over as well. The first step is always the most difficult, but it makes all the rest of them better.

Perhaps I have strayed from my original subject a bit, but marriage is really the journey which two people choose to share after the ceremony. For all the preparation and stress the wedding is actually the easy part. So here’s to a lifetime of love, not only for those I have mentioned above, but for all who read these words.

A Wedding Toast
May love and health and happiness
Be yours throughout the years
May friendship and fidelity
Bring strength to cast off fears
May honor and respect and trust
Be ever on your hearts
What, therefore, God had joined this day
May nothing cause to part
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: