Ads 468x60px

Saturday, March 18, 2006

In Times of Trouble

Sometimes it seems as if life gives us more than we think we are able to bear. Just as there seasons of joy and happiness, we all experience seasons of trial and sorrow as well. When those waves of darkness break against our shores it’s easy to become overwhelmed, to lose hope. Yet, we know that God is a friend to the broken-hearted and He has promised that He “causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28) Does that mean we can expect everything go swimmingly and we will be exempt from trials? Certainly not. It merely means that in the big picture, in the light of eternity, God will use our circumstances for His greater good. In the short run, in the here and now, the tempests of life will continue to blow, bringing with them pain and trouble and woe. Take heart, however, for even when it seems that things are out of control, we can rest assured that God is still in control. He just doesn’t work on our schedule or perform according to our feeble human timing. He is powerful, but He is also patient.

But what about today? I cannot possibly know what you are going through right now and it may seem trite for me to wave off your pain with a promise that somehow everything will be alright. The internet is a relatively impersonal place and anyone with a computer, like me, can pass themselves off as an expert and deliver their particular sermon with impunity from the safety of their own home or office. So here’s the deal: I believe what I have stated above is true and that God has indicated it to be so in the bible. But that might not be enough … so if you are struggling or suffering or even questioning, click the email link at the top of this page and I will be happy to engage you on these issues. If you need support or advice I will endeavor to offer it. If you would like someone to pray with or for you, I will be happy to oblige. You are not alone, and whatever you’re going through you need not do so alone. I’m going out on a limb, but I’m also inviting you to do the same. So if you need it, let’s talk. Now if that sounds interesting to you, remember to use the email link and not the “comment” link because comments are anonymous and I’ll have no way to respond to you.

In the mean time, I encourage you to take a step back from your troubles and consider how they might eventually work out for the best, either for you or others. Somehow, God’s going to work it out. I am certainly not wise enough to fully understand that concept, but I do have the simple faith to trust God for what He has promised. I hope this has been helpful and I look forward to hearing from some of you if you have any needs or questions. May God bless you and keep you as you as we travel though this life together.

For the Glory
I’ve asked myself why a thousand times
And I’ve asked God a thousand more
How could he allow us to suffer so?
What purpose could this be for?
But the Lord doesn’t always explain things
In a manner which makes sense to me
So I have learned to put my trust in Him
In His counsel and sovereignty
He has promised all things work for good
And that He shall be glorified
Yet, it’s hard to see the glory
Through all the tears that I have cried
However, I know that the glory
Is shining somewhere up ahead
Somewhere just beyond my troubles
And we can trust in what God has said
So each day I search for the glory
In the trials that come to me
And they don’t seem so difficult to bear
In the light of eternity
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: