Ads 468x60px

Saturday, November 19, 2005

We Must Be the Gospel

Let's face it, our lives are constantly on display for all the world to see. Therefore, if we are followers of Christ, He is constantly on display through us. No matter what you or I think or say, the plain fact is that if we profess to be Christians then our actions and choices will reflect upon God. Indeed, since most people rarely read the bible we, in effect, become their bible. Our example, our successes and failures, our tempers and our charity, these are the outward reflection of our inward character. Rather should I say that these are the outward betrayal of our inward character. So if I point to God and say, "I'm with Him," then I should endeavor every day to honor Him with my life, for to do otherwise would clearly be to dishonor Him ... and He deserves far better. Worst of all, as people judge me for my actions they may be judging God as well and their own decision to trust or serve the Almighty could be influenced by my life. I do not mean to imply that I consider myself worthy to represent God. However, I believe we have an implied obligation to make our best effort thereto. Consequently, if am the only bible many people read what will the pages of my life convey about the character of God? A difficult question, but one that every honest believer must ask. Well, that is my spiritual thought for the day and I hope and pray you may you take them under consideration. In the mean time, let us each consider just who and what our lives represent and strive to live accordingly.

We Must Be the Gospel
Words alone are meaningless
Unless accompanied by deeds
Lofty statements are but vanity
Unless we meet the people's needs
For the gospel of our Savior
Though recorded on a page
Is only the foundation
It merely sets the stage
The balance of the message
Is the life we choose to live
The love we share with others
And our willingness to give
Indeed, in many cases
The only gospel most folks see
Is the love of Jesus daily lived
In the lives of you and me
We are the words and pages
We are God's hands and feet
We must be the gospel
Before the message is complete
By Frank Carpenter

0 comments: