Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Intrinsic Value

OK, it’s December 14th. Has the shopping started to drive you crazy yet? The whole Christmas shopping things wears me a little thin anyhow, but what I find most frustrating about it is shopping for kids. Their world is filled with brightly colored plastic which is utterly devoid of any intrinsic value. It’s cheap, however, and somehow that seems to make it more easier to bear. Now wait, I was once a little boy and I must admit that I liked all my plastic toys. I will also further admit that, even as an adult, I enjoy the occasional video game. When it comes to actually shopping, however, I find myself wandering down the cavernous isles of Toys R Us and thinking to myself, "Oh my God, is this how we equip and entertain the future citizens of the human race?" First of all, there’s a lot of plain old junk out there. Then there’s nicer toys that actually "do" something, but you know they’ll be destroyed in a matter of days, weeks or months. Then we got the whole video game and electronic entertainment genre, which has some interesting options, but also offers lots of blood and gore and guts and witchcraft and a whole host of other uninspiring qualities. Furthermore, much of children’s entertainment tantalizes their senses to the point that over time they build up a resistance to entertainment and require even higher doses of stimulation. It’s getting difficult to sell a book or a puzzle or a board game nowadays. Mirroring the adult world, the world of children is also filled with fool’s gold and it takes some effort to discover truly meaningful gifts that won’t be scoffed at and discarded by their receivers. Yet, we must never give up. There are still things of lasting value in this world of ours and it is our responsibility to help our children, as well as those within our sphere of influence, to discern and appreciate things that are "real." I know it’s a tall order, but what could be more important than the hearts and minds of our children. Now, go get ‘em, shoppers!

Intrinsic Value
I went to the toy store recently
not needing the golden fleece
Just a little something special
I could give my favorite niece
I knew just what she wanted
I had even brought her list
So it didn't seem too difficult
to get her what she wished
But when I surveyed all the items
I'd been told that she desired
My Christmas spirit sank a bit
and I was uninspired
The doll she wanted, I did not
though it spoke if you gave it a squeeze
But it seemed a shame to snuggle with
someone who needed batteries
She asked for a couple of video games
which I studied in some detail
But the witches, dragons and aliens
seemed to take the wind out of my sails
There were several other options
which would answer her request
And while some of them seemed better
certainly none of them was best
Each appeared it might wear out
before the passing of the year
Or inappropriate for little girls
to play with or hold dear
But the one denominator which
was common to what I surveyed
Was the brightly colored plastic
of which each of them was made
They were marvelous inventions
each a wonder to behold
But something in my head kept saying
"this is fool's gold"
Nothing of intrinsic value
could I find upon her list
I double checked it once again
for any I had missed
But nothing that my niece desired
escaped investigation
So I wandered back out to the mall
still brooding in resignation
I came, at last, upon a book store
and bought some children's classics there
Which was not what she requested
but they fit the bill of fare
And, when opened, brought a warm response
as did the later times
When we sat together for many hours
to read those stories and rhymes
So, in the end, it worked out fine
despite all my frustration
Once I applied some common sense
and a little imagination
The books would last a life time
she might even have them when
It came time to read to a niece of her own
they would truly mean something then
While the plastic toys and gadgets
would be broken and worn out
Or discarded for newer models
which there would be without a doubt
There still are gifts of value
which transcend technology
For the latest thing is obsolete
before it's placed beneath the tree
Electric gadgets and plastic gimmicks
line the aisles of every store
But things of intrinsic value
just seem to mean something more
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: