Ads 468x60px

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Lost in St. Louis

My last few postings have been a bit on the heavy side so figured it was time to give folks a break. I’m going to be traveling a bit this weekend and am reminded that when you travel, especially by plane, things don’t always go the way we plan. Today’s wacky poem recounts a time when I was trapped in St. Louis. According to the TWA computer I never arrived. Therefore, it refused to accept my reservation on any outgoing flight. Being left to the mercy of a machine who’s logic was based on faulty information, I resorted to my standard coping mechanism ... satirical poetry. Without digressing further, my point is that sometimes we simply lose control of our lives, or at least parts of them. That’s why we have to be a little flexible and maintain our sense of humor. Otherwise, we just end up pulling our hair out and eventually running amuck in public. I’ll be flying tomorrow and there’s no telling what might happen. More than likely, you’ll also find yourself at the mercy of powers beyond your control as well. That’s OK, it’s part of what makes life interesting. Whenever we inadvertently wander off the map of our well organized lives, we wander into the realm of adventure. With the proper perspective, however, those detours can make for some of the most interesting moments of our lives. So as you travel down your own road in the coming week, watch for the little detours that tend to be inconvenient and try to approach them as opportunities. And if you’re a control freak like me, get over it. Face that fact that life is simply out of control ... so enjoy the ride.

Lost in St. Louis
Dear friend, I was just thinking of you
As we came in on final approach
To the scenic city of St. Louis
Here I sit in 9-D coach
Touch down and landing were flawless
We taxi safely up to the gate
Soon I’ll be on a connecting flight
And home, I can hardly wait
Something goes wrong at the ticket counter
The computer says that I don’t exist
So it won’t let me leave St. Louis
And I am powerless to resist
I changed airlines back in Tulsa
Where my flight was canceled there
But now the TWA computer
Indicates that I’m not anywhere
"But I’m here, I’m standing in front of you!
Take my pulse, read my lips, it’s me"
"I’m sorry sir, but you’re still in Tulsa"
She proclaims emphatically
So here I sit in St. Louis
Though, technically, I haven’t arrived
And until I do, they won’t let me leave
They claim I’m not me, but contrived
I’m stuck for good in St. Louis
Look me up if you ever pass through
It seems the only thing worse than flying
Is not being able to
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: