Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Patriotism

Although I recently wrote on roughly the same subject, I feel compelled to refocus our attention on the brave Americans of our armed services around the globe. Certainly my primary hot spots are Iraq and Afghanistan, where we remain in conflict and the danger is greatest. I encourage all of us to keep the soldiers, as well as their families, in our daily prayers. Those two countries represent the front line in the war on terrorism. Even the liberals who strongly disagree with our involvement in Iraq are saying that it has become a haven and collection area for terrorists. If that is the case, then it is clearly is the right place to be fighting. I heard a great commentator say recently that if you have to fight terrorism it’s much better to play an away game. Let’s have the fight in Iraq, rather than New Jersey or Mississippi or Idaho. That works for me. Yes, there’s danger in Iraq and the fact is that our people on the ground might just be drawing fire away from the home front. Either way, it’s their job and they’re doing it well ... and on our behalf. For that, I for one am truly thankful. Nor let us forget our service people stationed in the rest of the world. Even is they aren’t in the action right now they are part of the solution. They provide a deterrent and stand ready to respond as the instruments of our policies and ideals worldwide. They’ve left their homes and families as well and we commend them for it. All our lofty speeches and flag waving are great, but our military remains at the heart of our national strength. A strong America is good for the whole world and we should never forget that. So remember the brave folks of our armed forces and show them due appreciation. If you know someone in the service, either at home or abroad, write them a letter and tell them you’re behind them ... because they are in front of you. May God bless America, and especially those who have so bravely chosen to defend it.

Patriotism
My patriotism has never been tested
Though I spout its rhetoric with ease
Waging the war of words from home
Just as courageous as you please
Yet, I am only able to do so
Because far better men than I
Are willing to fight for my freedom
Brave men, who could very well die
In defense of what I believe in
Of our beloved democracy
Theirs is the truest patriotism
They are the pride of the land of the free
And knowing that they are out there
In that desert, half a world away
Makes me proud to be an American
And more so than ever today
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: