Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Opposing Views

I hope that regular readers will not find it offensive if I diverge from my standard format because, surprising as it may seem, I have no poem to accompany today’s chosen subject so. Oblige me, if you will, as I swap my poet hat for the pundit one since I feel compelled to address an issue which is dear to my heart. Now, it cannot have escaped your attention that I am a staunch conservative. Yet, I have many friends who fall on both sides of the invisible political lines which currently divide popular thought in our country as next week’s presidential election draws near. Today, however, I have no intention of promoting my side of the issues. Rather, I wish to remind my fellow citizens how fortunate we are to have many sides to each issue and people who represent them. I have a very dear friend who generally stands on the opposite side of many political debates and isn’t shy about reminding me of it. In fact, I’m even willing to admit that she is better educated, better informed, better read, probably more intelligent and certainly more passionate about many of the current issues than I. We enjoy sparing politically and ribbing one another whenever the opportunity arises, but also respect each other’s positions. She tries to educate me, I fire back with the latest political cartoons from the internet ... and so it goes, with very little chance that either of us are likely to alter our positions. The wonderful thing, however, is that it’s OK for us to disagree. We have the amazing good fortune to live in a country where people are allowed to disagree, where every side of an issue can be wrestled over, lobbied for, argued about, and the like. But we must remember that there are still places in the world where, even in this modern and supposedly civilized new millennium, where voicing opposition on political issues can lead to persecution, prison, torture and even death. Not so in America. Regardless of our political persuasions, we should all pause to thank God that we live in a place where we are free to speak, vote, work and worship however and wherever we choose. Whatever its faults, this great experiment of democracy which our forefathers set in motion 228 years ago has stood the test of time and generally held true to its founding principles. We are a nation of individuals, bound together not by our sameness, but by our diversity ... a diversity of culture, race, religion and certainly opinion. That is part of what makes us strong and we must remember that our constant grappling together over the issues is what provides the checks and balances which guide us down the narrow middle line of majority of rule. Ours is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Granted, those people will not always agree, but let us ever cherish and protect our right to disagree. While we have the utmost respect for one another, my friend and I will likely never agree on many political issues so next week we will each diligently and patriotically cancel out one another’s votes. That’s the way the system works, and the system really does work so don’t forget to cast your own vote next week as well. Otherwise, the friend you disagree with might tip the political scale in their own direction. By the way, don’t tell my friend ... but I actually think I’m right. Of course, chances are she’d say the same about me.

0 comments: