Ads 468x60px

Monday, August 09, 2004

Punctuality

Much of what you find me writing boils down to character and issues of virtue. One virtue, or at least the manifestation thereof, which seems to be overlooked far too often is punctuality. Punctuality is perhaps symptomatic of kindness, thoughtfulness, and certainly humility. Ever notice how some people are just chronically late? Oh, they always have a good excuse: forgot to set the alarm clock, the power went out, the traffic was terrible, the kids had an emergency, car trouble, hit every red light, trouble at the office, didn’t get the fax/memo/email/phone message ... the list goes on and on. Interestingly, excuses merely attempt to shift blame. However, each person is responsible for his or her own actions and schedule. Now, there clearly are real emergencies. We all know that. Nine times out of ten, though, we simply didn’t allow enough time for traffic, red lights and the other unforseen contingencies which are so much a part of our everyday lives. Most of the time we push things to the last minute in a gamble that we won’t get hung up along the way. That, however, is a gamble with the valuable time of others. If we honestly allow for those unforseen variables, then we run the risk of arriving places early. Some folks would argue that that would constitute a waste of time. On the contrary, I would argue that arriving early is merely a means of assuring we will not squander the time of others. Far better to waste my own time, which I own, than to waste time that doesn’t rightly belong to me. I often find that allowing a little margin gives me a few moments to collect my thoughts between obligations. First of all, I’m not so stressed. Then I have the leisure to review meeting materials, think about what I will say, read a bible verse I have handy in my car, let my blood pressure settle down after wrestling with traffic, read a magazine in a reception area, whatever. Those little moments of margin in life can help to balance a busy schedule. I also find that the small talk which takes place prior to many meetings and events can sometimes be extremely valuable if we are there to participate in it. But time is money, isn’t? Exactly. My time is my money. Other people’s time is their money. If I’m late, I steal their time and, therefore, their money. When you arrive early and walk in on time it tells people that you are organized and they respect you for it, and it tells them that you respect them as well. Now, I know that you’re thinking of one or two people in your life who often take too much liberty in this area. So just send this along to them and let me nag them instead of you, just for once. That’s our thought for the day. Like so many things in life, effective interaction with other human beings, whether it be for business or pleasure, is based upon good old fashioned common courtesy ... which always begins with punctuality.

Punctuality
There is a thief among us
not one who plunders gold
But a commodity more precious
which cannot be bought or sold
So irreplaceable and priceless
it can't be harvested or mined
Or drilled or dredged or prospected
nor manufactured or refined
He steals the thing we cherish most
he who perpetrates this crime
He is the person who is always late
who robs us of our time
He never gives a second thought
to making others wait
We show up at the time prescribed
but he is always late
Because he feels his time is
somehow worth a little more
He takes advantage and he
squeezes something in before
Then he justifies his tardiness
with excuses he believes
Will indemnify his actions
but it is himself whom he deceives
For every time he robs another
of a moment which was theirs
He cuts a fiber in the bond
of honor binding his affairs
Until that bond is broken
or worn thin from his abuse
And those whom he kept waiting
will wait no more for his excuse
They will choose to wait for someone else
whom they know has more respect
For the valued time of others
their schedules and intellect
Then, perhaps, he'll learn his lesson
it's simply common courtesy
To respect the time of others
and practice punctuality
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: