Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

You Alone

The death of my elderly neighbor earlier this week reminds me that folks are going through difficult situations all round us. Sometimes those trials, being of a personal nature, are never even spoken of. But they’re out there, countless people who feel like they might be at the end of their rope. Many of them feel all alone, as if they have no one to turn to or watch over them. They don’t feel loved. They don’t feel supported. They don’t feel prayed for. The world can be a cold, cruel place for those who are lonely and struggling with the big issues in life without any support. They may sit in the next cubicle at work, or the next pew in church, perhaps they are even members of our own family in the next room. People near us are dealing with death and disease, they are struggling with difficult marriages, they have problems in their extended family, they have drug and alcohol addictions, maybe going through a financial crisis or dealing with depression, their children may have them at their wits end. Occasionally, it may even be several of the above. We all need to be sensitive to those around us so that they feel we are approachable in their time of need. As human beings we have that responsibility to one another. If you are one of those hurting people who feels as if you have nowhere to turn, there are two things you need to know. First of all, there are people who are willing to care for you. You may have built a wall around yourself, but don’t let it trap you inside. Call a friend or family member, talk to someone at your church (or any church), take a chance on the next door neighbor, email me if you need to ... but you don’t have to go through this alone. Second, you need to know that there is a God who loves about you enough that He sacrificed His own Son on your behalf. That God is only a prayer away from coming to your aid. It may feel strange at first, to pray all by yourself, but God cares about you enough to intervene in your life. No matter how long it’s been since you prayed, or how far away God may seem, He’s actually standing right by your side ... with open arms. You needn’t worry about using the right words since God listens to your heart as well and He knows just what you mean. Because of His great love for you, you are never truly alone. If you are one of those hurting people this poem is for you. If you know someone else who is struggling, feel free to send this message on to them. Perhaps it may help to open up the lines of communication. In the mean time, let’s all remember that we are not alone. Maybe that will help us to look out for one another as well.

You Alone
You alone know my heart, oh Lord
You alone hear my cries
You alone see the tears I shed
And the emptiness in my eyes
You alone know the fear in me
Which consumes my waking hours
You alone feel my hopelessness
The way my joy withers and sours
You alone know my weariness
You alone know my pain
The defeats and the disappointments
That crush me time and again
You alone know the people, Lord
Whom I’ve failed and who failed me
You alone know the scars they’ve left
None but You alone see
You alone know the lonely days
And nights when my despair
Smothered the good things in my life
Until I was too weak to care
You alone know how lost I am
At work, and even at home
How even with friends and family
I feel as if I’m alone
You alone know my sorrow, Lord
And I know, at least, You alone care
Enough that no matter where I am
At least, You alone will be there
So I ask You, Lord, to shine Your light
Through the darkness my life has become
And melt the ice within my heart
Before it grows any more numb
You alone know each last detail
Of what I am going through
So I place my trust in You alone
For I am never alone with You
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: