Ads 468x60px

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Trading Places

Today I’d like to share a little lesson my kids taught me long ago. The poem I’ve selected is a rather simplified study of the ruts we get ourselves into and how little value some of them actually have in the long run. Ever notice how you always seem to sit in the same place at the table, on the couch, or in pews at church? We humans are creatures of habit, are we not? Habit is comforting. Routine and ritual bring a consistency to life, creating comfort zones where we can let our guard down. That can be a good thing, but a dangerous one as well. Oh, perhaps not the life threatening, cancer and car accident kind of danger. Yet, from an experiential standpoint, we can be in danger of missing out on all that life has to offer. If we draw a nice little cookie cutter box around ourselves which defines us, we become less and less likely to step out of that self imposed box. Furthermore, others are less likely to step into it. When we get into a rut we can also miss out on perspective which could alter how we look at life. Want to shake things up? Get there early and change places at the dinner table, or even in the board room. Climb into the back seat and let someone else drive for a change. Sit on the other side of church and see who you meet. Bring a picnic to work for lunch, take the stairs instead of the elevator, drive in the slow lane, do anything different. Some of these may sound silly, so make your own list of things to try. The point is to change out the old routines and see how it feels. . Not to mention that you’ll throw everyone else off and that can make for great conversation. It’s all about thinking outside of your personal box. It might improve your work life by breaking up the monotony. Almost certainly children and spouses will find it interesting. And you just never know how a new perspective on an old life might enlighten you. So that’s my thought for the day. Now don’t go doing anything crazy or dangerous, but give the snow globe of your everyday life a little shake and see what things look like. You might just surprise yourself, and others as well.

Trading Places
I came to the dinner table
Where my son said, "let's say Grace."
I replied, "I'd really like to, son
But you're sitting in my place."
"I didn't see your name there."
He refuted, instantly
"But it's mine, I always sit there.
It's reserved for only me."
Still, I turned to sit in his place
And found my daughter sitting there
So I retreated to her usual seat
Still thinking it unfair
When I asked about the changes
I was told, offhandedly
That they simply wanted to try it
And they weren't dethroning me
The kids were just experimenting
With perspectives and their roles
And I had been the guinea pig
Me, in a rut, and growing old
Sometimes we cling to routines
Whether they be good or bad
When a little change might well be due
That's what the kids taught dear old dad
Another thing they pointed out
About which I shouldn't care
There's nothing special about my old spot
Our dining room table is square
               By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: