Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 01, 2020

Southern Cross


Perhaps one more poem about some special stars. We’ve already established that I love to gaze up at the heavens, and often find some meaning there. I have a long relationship with Polaris, the North Star, which features prominently in the sky … and in my thoughts. In the northern hemisphere it’s the pole star, remaining roughly in the same position while the Big Dipper, Cassiopeia and the rest of the constellations dance slowly around it. For this reason, it’s been a friend to navigators for thousands of years. And it just happens to be the first thing I see when I walk out my front door in the evening, a reliable companion in a seemingly ever-changing world.

When we began traveling to visit our daughter’s family in New Zealand some years ago we had to leave the North Star behind because it’s only visible from the northern hemisphere. Yet we were also introduced to the Southern Cross, which is only visible in the southern hemisphere and features prominently in the culture there. It even graces the flag of New Zealand. I Immediately struck up a friendship with this new constellation, and as a sailor and navigator it had a particular meaning for me as well. Throughout my life I’d frequently relied upon the North Star to find my way or get my bearings. However, it was clear that I needed to point my daughter towards the appropriate celestial companion to take her own bearings on. She has her own family and her own life, and her own broad expanse of sky … and she needed different stars to point the way to her chosen home.

Back here in north America, with Polaris looking over my shoulder, I’m unable to view the Southern Cross. Yet, I know where to find it. Broad oceans may separate us, but the Southern Cross is etched indelibly upon my heart and I know it’s watching over those whom I hold so dear.

Southern Cross
As I walk out of my front door
Each night I’m greeted by
My old friend, the North Star
Hanging ever in the sky
But down under it is different
My North Star is out of view
So I must trust the Southern Cross
To keep watch each night on you
You can find it in the south
To the left of your driveway
And it can be a beacon for you
When you lose the light of day
Even though the Southern Cross
Dwells below where I can see
It will always be there for you
And I hope you’ll think of me
Our horizons may be different
And six thousand miles and more
Of empty blue Pacific
May separate our shores
But you are always on my mind
And we won’t feel far apart
If you look up at the Southern Cross
And know I hold you in my heart
             By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: