Ads 468x60px

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Agree to Disagree


Let’s face it, we don’t all see eye to eye. But that’s OK. I wouldn’t want to live in a vanilla world where each of us thought exactly the same thing. And, in truth, we need each other’s opinions in order to evaluate and sharpen our own. Sometimes I’m dead wrong and can’t even see it. That’s when the insight of others is so helpful. It’s also true that we formulate many of our opinions and arguments based upon our own world views. I believe in a God. You might not. You come from a certain type of family or educational background. I have had different life experiences. Each of these things shapes our perspectives. And often we draw lines in the sand that divide relationships, cultures, and even nations. So there are many times, especially among people we care about, where we have to agree to disagree. When that happens, we can continue to have productive and provocative discussions across a broad range of subjects. I have strong opinions, but I also want to honor relationships. So this goes out to those whom I might not agree with, but whom I still love and respect. Let’s keep talking.

Agree to Disagree
Although we love each other
There are areas, it’s true
Where we don’t see quite eye to eye
And I must disagree with you
We’re entitled to opinions
So at least philosophically
We diverge on several issues
And so you disagree with me
But I like that we can talk about
Whatever’s on our hearts
And discuss a host of issues
That seem to tear some folks apart
I respect how you feel and
Think you do the same for me
We live somewhere in the middle
As we agree to disagree
So I say let’s keep talking
Let’s keep wrestling with things
So we can challenge one another
Embracing what perspective brings
Wisdom never flourishes
Within a vacuum, it is true
And I relish the exchanges
That I have with each of you
              By Frank Carpenter

0 comments: