Ads 468x60px

Friday, October 20, 2017

Hope

The concept of hope is an interesting one. In its simplest form it represents the fulfillment of our desires. I could say, for instance, “Gosh, I hope I win the lottery” or “I hope it doesn’t rain tomorrow.” However, real hope can also have a deeper meaning, one which speaks of a future or of things that we hope in. That is my context for today.  So I want to ask us all the question, “what do we hope in?” That may actually be the biggest question of all. And the second thing to consider is whether the object of our is truly worthy of our hope. It’s one thing to hope our team will win or hope there won’t be much traffic this morning, but what about the big hopes? What are we betting our lives on? Is it the hope that if I have enough money I’ll be comfortable. Or the hope that if I’m a good person I’ll go to heaven? Or, as a last resort, the default hope that everything will just be OK if I don’t think about it. But can we really afford to roll the eternal dice on outcomes that we can be sure of?

I’m betting my life on Jesus. When I hope for the future, my hope is in the future that He promised in the bible of eternal life with him in heaven. I’ve looked around, and it’s clear to me that trusting in Jesus is our best and only hope. It requires a step of faith, but anything that we hope in or trust in requires a step of faith. Again, the question is always, “Is the object of our hope worthy of that hope?” When it comes to Jesus, I answer yes. If you’re not sure what you hope in, let’s talk about it. Most importantly, don’t just hope that everything will be OK. Your forever is too important.

The Hope
“Of course my hope is in Jesus”
I’m always so quick to say
That’s the right Sunday school answer
But do we really live that way?
What do I really hope in?
Sadly, my life betrays
I hope in savings, work and approval
And that’s how I live each day
For far too often I place my trust
In the things that can never last
Investing time and my talents in chaff 
That fades when this life has passed
Yet I dare not hope in the temporal
And the false security
This world continues to proffer
For those things shall fail me
Only a hope in Jesus
Will stand the test of time
Far beyond all the other things
I’ve clung to and called mine
This world will surely disappoint
No matter what we may do
Oh Lord, You are my only hope
May I place my trust in You

            By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: