Ads 468x60px

Monday, November 14, 2011

To Live the Life

We all have standards that we live by, or seek to live up to. Everyone believes in something, whether it’s God, people, a moral compass, or a commitment to some universal truths. According to whatever code we subscribe to, we tend to live in a certain manner. The interesting thing is that not everyone lives according to what they profess. I’m certainly not one to judge because I’m just as “human” as anyone else, but take a look at all the people you know and most of us fall short of our own words in some way. The other interesting thing about this line of thinking is that our lives actually tell, and sometimes even betray, what we actually believe. In other words, what we do provides the forensic evidence for examining what we say and what we believe. The best test of any credo is a life of living it.

I for one believe in God and desire, in the words of the Apostle Paul, “to live a life worthy of the calling to which I have been called.” I encourage you to take a serious look at what you say you believe and how it has proved out in your daily life. In the meantime I will take the liberty of offering my own credo in the form of the following poem.

To Live the Life
Lord, I want to live the life
Which you have called me to
To follow you wholeheartedly
Rather than just muddle through
Lord, I want to be your servant
Each moment of each day
And not just on Sunday mornings
Please, Lord, show me the way
To be true to you regardless
Of the cost that I must that must bear
To trust you with my future
To always love and care
Lord, teach me how to sacrifice
To worship and to pray
To be a shining light for you
In all I do and say
May I be a fragrant offering
Bringing glory, Lord, to you
For I desire to live the life
Which you have called me to
          By Frank Carpenter ©

1 comments:

Comradeinchrist said...

This would make a great worship song with the chorus being the last two stanzas. Ever try putting these to music? You should.