Ads 468x60px

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Resolution


Well, here we are in a brand new year. This is the time when many people think about new beginnings. They plan, they write lists, and they make resolutions. Chances you are more organized them me, but I’ve had less than outstanding experience with New Year’s resolutions. Please note that there is no shortage of things about me that could use an overhaul, or at least some improvement. The resolution program just doesn’t seem to be the right motivational tool for promoting long-term change in my own life. However, I do want to be a better person and the logical choice for me is to work on my trajectory. While I’m loath obligate myself to a list, I have resolved to keep moving in the right direction in important areas of my life. I’m a sailor and it’s easy for me think in terms of a compass heading. So, even as I distain a specific list for myself, I have taken some bearings and will attempt to stay on course so that each day, in some way, I’m a better man than I was the day before.

As I was pondering these things I came across the following quote by Benjamin Franklin: “Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each year find you a better man.” That seems to sum up my current thinking on this subject. As you face your own New Year I hope that you’ll join me in this venture at least. Are you more highly organized or motivated? If you got a list of ten things that you truly intend to accomplish this year then more power to you. You might even be my hero. If not, let’s just be better. Let’s move towards better health. Let’s be better friends, fathers, mothers, employees, grandparents, citizens, believers, brothers, sisters, etc. If the world is going to be a better place, we are going to have to be better people. That’s a good start, and a journey we can all begin together.

A Better Man
Here we are at New Years Day again
I’ve found a rock to sit upon
And ponder what the next year holds
Now that the last is gone
I won’t delude myself by drafting
Some long list of resolutions
Since history so oft has shown
I’ve not the will for execution
Yet, the wisdom of my hindsight
So dearly bought in years gone by
Still provides encouragement
Throughout this coming year to try
To become a better person
And make the world a better place
At least the little corner of it
Within my power to embrace
For if I can make a difference
In the little sphere I see
Then that gives my life a purpose
And it must begin with me
No long list of resolutions
Or some complicated plan
But I resolve to strive each day
To be a better man
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: