Ads 468x60px

Monday, October 04, 2010

Perspective



In our everyday lives it’s so easy to develop tunnel vision. The little circle of our daily experience often becomes the whole world of our conscious thought. This is especially true if we remain constantly engaged in activities which demand our full attention or commitment. Whether it’s work or children, or some other area of focus, the scope of our perspective can slowly close around us until we become unaware of what lies beyond. This sometimes leaves people feeling trapped or helpless, or unable to imagine what lies outside their field of vision. Then folks, without even realizing it, concede emotionally and spiritually to their current reality. In short we become near sighted. This happens to all of us. However, a change of pace or a small dose of free time and open space can make a remarkable difference in our view of the world around us, as well as the people who share it with us.

A few days ago I had the opportunity to stand on a mountaintop by myself and ponder some of these thoughts. It’s amazing what a little free time, open space, and a view of the far horizon can do for the soul. I was refreshed and inspired, to say the least. For a change I think I shall not pontificate further, but simply let the poem and the pictures speak for themselves. That’s Brian Head Peak, in Utah, and the view really was outstanding. I sincerely hope it may broaden your horizons as well.

Perspective
Sometimes we grow myopic
In desperate need of something new
When the nearest fence or building
Seems to be our only view
Then we forget the far horizons
Which ring us ‘round on every side
And our present world shrinks
To just the place where we reside
But then I stand upon a mountain top
As, indeed, I do right now
And I feel like Columbus
Who saw a larger world somehow
The distant peaks and valleys
That stretch out beneath my feet
Beckon to the wild heart in me
And make my life more complete
As I survey that larger world
From each compass point I see
Countless new adventures waiting
With endless possibilities
And my little world of yesterday
Which I had timidly clung to
Has been shattered by this mountain
By far horizons and vistas new
By Frank Carpenter ©




1 comments:

Comradeinchrist said...

Keep on climbing good squire!