Ads 468x60px

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Second Chances

For any of my readers who might have wondered, I write most of my poetry longhand in small leather-bound books that are just the right size to fit in my pocket. Along with poetry, I also take notes, make lists and fill the pages with all manner of jotting, doodling, etc., including card game scores, Christmas lists and movie times. Thus, these books each represent a snapshot of my life at any given moment. A little over five years ago I inadvertently left one such book in my trouser pocket and it went through the washing machine. Needless to say it ended up fairly mangled. However, I salvaged it as well as possible and laid it up on a shelf to dry. Low and behold, I rediscovered that little book this past weekend and also discovered that it was a time capsule from the most difficult period of my entire life. Back in the end of 2001 we learned, rather abruptly, that I had serious heart disease and I was thrust into some very frightening hospital stays which resulted in two rounds of angioplasty. Since I was just over forty, even the doctors were surprised by my condition and we had to make a lot of emotional adjustment to some shocking medical realities. By the way, I’m much better now so I will digress no farther on that part of the story. At the same time, my father was being diagnosed and treated for what turned out to be a life-ending condition and my brother was going through a difficult divorce. Needless to say, my little book of notes, poetry and commentary captured that period in my life with several months in either direction for perspective. How strange it has been during recent days to pry the mangled pages apart and attempt to decipher the events and meaning from that stage in my life. Which brings us to today’s poem.

I know it’s March so I beg you forgive me for offering a poem today which is entitled, “What I got For Christmas.” This is a poem about second chances and the perspective which comes from facing life-threatening issues. It also serves as a reminder that we have no guarantees in life. In fact, we’re all terminal … some folks just have a lot more time than others. Most of us tend to live life like we’ll definitely make it to a ripe old age, and most people do. The problem is that none of us can be sure who might turn out to be an actuarial anomaly. The important point here is that when we find ourselves thrust into such dreadful situations most of the details of life that take up so much of our energy suddenly matter very little, while faith, family and friends come rushing to the forefront of our priorities. On the faith front, let me just say that only a saving faith can provide eternal fire insurance. For more on that aspect of my commentary, I encourage you to Google my other poem, “Brimstones and Chicken Bones.” Please don’t wait until you’re sick to tell your spouse and children how you feel about them. Then set out to prove it every day. The same goes for friends and extended family.

Clearly, I’m a big fan of second chances. However, when you get one it reminds you that not everyone does, so we need to live our lives in such a way as to have no regrets. Get it right with your family, do your business with God and be thankful for each day as it comes. Again, I apologize for using a poem with Christmas in the title during the spring, but this message found me and I felt compelled to share it at this time. Have a wonderful day … and make it count.

What I Got for Christmas
I already have my gift
For Christmas time this year
God gave it to me early
Knowing Christmas day was near
What I received is priceless
Something I could never buy
God gave me a second chance
When He could have let me die
Through the valley of the shadow
God brought me mercifully
Showing me what matters most
He gave the opportunity
To better understand the value
Of the people I hold dear
To reconsider my commitments
And why He placed me here
When I awake on Christmas morning
Hug my children and kiss my wife
That alone will be gift enough
Because I love my life
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: