Ads 468x60px

Friday, July 01, 2005

Let Your Voice Be Heard

Far too often, I believe that we who consider ourselves members of the silent majority prove it by keeping our opinions to ourselves. It should not be so! Each of us has a voice and an obligation to use it. Do you think no one will listen? Maybe. However, you can be absolutely certain that no one will listen if you fail to speak. I believe it was Wayne Gretsky who one said, “you miss one hundred percent of the shots you never take.” Each of us just needs to discover where our voice can be heard. Sometimes, when I am passionate about a political issue, I’ll write to a senator or a congressman. They might not read individual letters, but they do keep a tally of the issues their constituent’s care about. From time to time I even write to the President. I’m absolutely sure that he won’t read my email, but I also know that they keep track of opinions expressed as well. This morning’s resignation of Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor got me thinking about some national issues which are dear to my heart so I sat down and wrote an email to our President with my opinion. I have posted the text of that email below. Whether or not you agree with me, I would be happy to dialog with you … and I’d also encourage you to voice your own opinion to the President, or anyone else in our government. Maybe, just maybe, someone will hear you. At least if you speak out you haven’t abdicated your opinion to the countless other squeaky wheels in the citizenship. If you want to write to the president his email address is president@whitehouse.gov. If you wish to engage me, feel free to use the email link to the right or the comments option at the bottom of this posting. Either way, let your voice be heard.

Dear Mr. President,
Only this morning, Justice O'Connor retired from the Supreme Court. As a conservative, I beg you to choose a moral conservative to replace her. What is more, I also urge you to stand your ground in the confirmation process. Many of the bills and issues that you champion, however valuable they are, will get watered down and compromised in the process of passing through both houses. Yet, a Supreme Court Justice provides the last line of defense in the interpretation of the law and our beloved constitution. A more conservative court creates a political legacy which can span 20-30 years, and far beyond that in terms of setting precedent. So, dear President and Commander in Chief, we dare not shy away from this battle. Let us draw the line and stand our ground on this important issue. Let the democrats rant and rave. Let them filibuster. Let them make their speeches ... but let us win the day on your nomination of a new justice. As a conservative Christian, as a blogger and member of the "new" media, as an American citizen, I place my trust in you. My late father, State Senator Dennis Carpenter and then chairman of the California Republican Central Committee, introduced Vice President Spiro Agnew at the 1970 convention the night he coined the phrase, "The nattering nabobs of negativism." All alliteration aside, we continue to grapple with those same folks, and we must not let them have their way. Carry on, sir, and stay true to your heart.

With the greatest admiration and respect,
Frank H. Carpenter
Republican, California

0 comments: