Ads 468x60px

Monday, September 20, 2004

The Spirit of Don Quixote

Last year when, for the first time, I saw the musical "Man of La Mancha" I found myself very moved by the story. For those of you unfamiliar with the story, it is set in Spain long after the time of knights and chivalry have been forgotten. The protagonist is an old man who lapses into delusions that he is the valiant knight Don Quixote on a noble quest. His faithful servant and friend humors the old man by playing along and they gallivant across the countryside in search of chivalrous deeds to perform. While the old man is clearly not in his right mind, and gets in to all sorts of trouble because of it, his lofty ideals, imbecilic innocence and misguided attempts at heroism begin to win your heart over and draw you into his story. In light of all that is happening around him, in the end you are left with the distinct impression that perhaps the delusional Don Quixote was actually the only same person in the story. Sometimes I think that’s how it is in the real world. If one strives always to do the right thing, to take the high moral road, it seems to make others uncomfortable. If he dreams too big or reaches too far, others write him off or fail to take him seriously. In what often seems an insane world, the sanest of people may be called crazy merely for failing to conform. The story of Don Quixote re-awoke something deep within me which many of us spend a lifetime working to suppress: the freedom to be different, the desire to be different and make a difference. So here’s to the Man of La Mancha. Read the book, see the movie or the play and I think you will agree. The world might just end up being a better place with a little more chivalry ... and maybe even the occasional noble quest.

The Spirit of Don Quixote
Last night, I met Don Quixote
As it were, for the very first time
Drawn into the depths of his story
I hung upon every line
He was but a fictional character
Indeed, not even in his right mind
But he was an idealist, a poet
With a spirit both noble and kind
Somewhere in his misguided innocence
Of which all he encountered made jest
Still there was virtue divine to be found
And I was caught up in his quest
For the impossible dream he imagined
I daresay is better by far
Then the sane and vain of this world
Who know not the unreachable star
I myself have been mocked and beaten
By this cynical world we share
‘Til the idealistic poet within me
Was driven full to the brink of despair
Perhaps better to be Don Quixote
Though mocked and regarded a fool
Better the noble quest to pursue
In this land where the naysayers rule
Let me be true to my calling
To duty, honor and all that is good
Clinging doggedly to my virtue
Though mistreated and misunderstood
Like the daring Man of La Mancha
Whatever his faults may be
An idealist, a poet, an honest man
May no less be said of me
By Frank Carpenter ©

0 comments: